Monday, May 20, 2013

1st trip to Minnesota- Day 1

Our morning started bright and early---like 4:00 a.m. We got up and got ready to head out to the airport. (Thanks again Jeromy Beasley for donating the airfare for this trip for us, we are so grateful.) We went extra early to give ourselves plenty of time to go through security. With Ariauna's feeding tube, PICC line and all her extra supplies and formula we needed to take, we knew she was going to have lots of extra screening. It actually went rather well and without many bumps. It was pretty obvious by looking at her that she had some medical needs, considering the tube coming out of her nose. The hard part about leaving town was leaving the other kids behind (Thank you to the Kings, and my family for helping with the kids so that Jerry could go with us this time around).Here we are waiting to take off, and yes Ariauna got her set of wings from the pilot.
Other than a bit of rain, our flight went really well and it was a direct flight so that was really nice. As soon as we got off the plane we went and got our rental car. Enterprise gave us a free upgrade so instead of the cheapest, smallest car we got a Black VW Jetta.
We left the airport in our new fun car and headed to check in to our hotel. We stayed at the University Inn. We thought it would be good to try it out because it had a little kitchen in it and that way we would know if we liked it before we came back for the transplant. Because most likely we will have to stay in a hotel for a few weeks until a room becomes available at the Ronald McDonald house. I ended up working a little bit at the hotel because I had some surveys that were due by Midnight tonight. Jerry and Ariauna took a nap while I worked. Then we headed out to the MOA (Mall of America). Jerry and I knew what store was at the mall, but we had not told Ariauna as we wanted her to be surprised and boy was she surprised. Here she is at every little girls dream store. 
 
 
Yes Ariauna dreamed a lot. This store was unbelievable. In fact, I had almost as much fun as Ariauna. I had never been in an American Girl doll store either. WOW, is all I can say. If you can not tell by the picture, this was a two story doll store and there was thousands of things for you and your doll. Ari's old doll "Kit" got her ears pierced while we were there, and she ended up getting a cast, crutches, brush, and new underwear set. Ariauna was hunting the whole store looking for the doll McKenna but unfortunately for Ariauna and thank goodness to my pocket book, McKenna was last years doll of the year and then it retires. Ariauna would have loved to have McKenna, and I know because of what is going on with Ariauna if she would have found her I would have been a softy and let her have it. So luckily we got out of there a lot cheaper than a new doll. They also had a Lego store that was fun to go in and look around. It was just like the one at Lego land where you can buy individual lego's and in any color that you want. We spent the rest of the afternoon having lunch, looking around the mall and then Jerry and Ariauna got wristbands for the amusement park that is in the middle of the mall. Ariauna had an absolute blast and I wanted this trip to be all about Ariauna so it was fun to sit back and watch her having fun. I did splurge and bought myself a ticket to go on the log chute with Ariauna, but most of the other rides I would not have wanted to go on, because I am a wuss.
 
 
 On the way back to the hotel we stopped at a grocery store and bought some stuff for breakfast so we could just eat in our room. When we got back to our hotel, we were just getting out of the car when this pulled into the parking lot. Ariauna busted a gut, so we had to get a picture with it. They were staying at the same hotel as us. Funny!!
 
Before I finish this post of the day, I almost forgot to mention how beautiful and green it is here in Minnesota. I will try to get some good pictures of how pretty and green it is. But I also want to mention how insane the roads are. Oh my gosh, if you think the roads are crazy and insane in Utah, you need to come here. I am almost thinking the roads here are worse than the freeways in California. Thank goodness for my brother Josh borrowing "Garmin" to us...We never would have made it around in this town without it. I can not tell you how many times we just drove around in circles. I also have to mention so we can laugh about it later how we were driving down a 2 lane road and all of a sudden there is a parked car in the right hand lane. Ugh! We dang near hit it...So then we go around the car and start cruising down the road and yet again there is another parked car in the middle of the lane. Who would have known that you can just stop and park your car in the middle of a 2 lane road.  Craziness..... This is exactly why I am sooooo grateful Jerry was here this trip, to help us know where things are and how to get around, before I attempt to do this by myself for four months. I will also be grateful not to have a car next time. I will be grateful to just be driven around in a shuttle. We'll we are off to bed, we had a great day today! Tomorrow will be a bit of a stressful day, and I know next time we come to Minnesota, Ariauna is not going to be able to go and do much so I am so grateful we had some extra time today to do something fun with her. I will post again soon!






1 comment:

debbie said...

I'm glad you had a fun first day. I've never been to an American Doll store or a Lego store. Very cool!

Post a Comment